Being There

A couple months before my library opened last summer I began having muscle spasms in my lower back doing chores in the kitchen at the end of the day. I began to improve when my library opened. I felt better when I went to work. Going into work was my medicine.
As I have said many times, that’s the right answer.
It’s simpler and cheaper than getting a bigger apartment. I am very happily married. My T is my rock. He is working remotely.
.
Being on hand to help. People are coming to the library expecting somebody to be there. I have had several conversations this week already and it’s only Wednesday. I cannot do that part of my job remotely.
Doctor’s appointments.  We live out in suburban NJ. We use my health insurance.  Providers that take my insurance out where I live are few and far between, and mostly difficult to get to, given that we make the choice to live without a car.  Plus surprise bills are much more common.    These problems don’t happen when I go to the doctor in NYC Anything that is not critical, I come into NYC for.  This was really awkward when my library was closed. I have recently been having good experiences with NYU PT.  In most cases I go late in the afternoon, after working a partial day on site.
After saying all that, it seems important to acknowledge that it’s hard work. That’s why I take Fridays. By Thursday evening I am completely done in.

One thought on “Being There

1. LaRoi Lawton says:

An extraordinary commentary given its originality and normalcy of living, working and commuting to work on a given day.I work as well; my wife (God Bless her) is currently in remission. Since day 1 of the ‘pandemic’ my connection to our home, immediate family has magnified ten-fold. I now look at my current job at BCC as one of those 29 year journeys as another stopover-destination, unknown. Through it all, I see the students we come in contact with, with uncertain eyes and temperament. While I try to empower, I and reminded of the many losses these past two+ years, of family, friends and co-workers. I miss them and am also saddened by the current events of the day and world.I reflect on the words my wife tells every morning I leave: “I love you, stay safe and come home”